Skip to main content

Unpopular Opinion: Grades shouldn't be punitive

My voice cracks a little every time I tell someone I have been an educator for 21 years. Ouch. How is that possible? It feels like yesterday that I was hired on a "certification waiver" at the age off 22 with zero idea of what I was going to be doing as a teacher. But here I am, fluorescent light buzzing above me at 8 am on a Tuesday morning--my coffee tumbler empty. I'd like to think I am still much the same as I was back then...spunky, tough, opinionated, caring. Yet, I know a great deal of who I am as a teacher has changed. My practices, my philosophies...like me as a human, they too have grown and evolved. Thank goodness, I think to myself. Because for so long, I meant well, but I think I did things that weren't really best for kids. I feel a pang of guilt when I remember this.

No, I never cursed at a kid or intentionally hurt anyone--nothing like that, but I did do something that I truly believe is not what's best for kid:. I gave them zeroes when they didn't complete their work. I punished them with their grades. Yep, I said it. And you know what? It wasn't okay. So here it is. Unpopular opinion: grades should never be used as punishment. Some of you are gasping in horror right now. WHAT?! Then how will we ever get kids to turn stuff in??? Our jobs will be so hard! We must hold them accountable and prepare them for life!!! Yeah, I know all the arguments. Once upon a time, I said the same thing. But, and hear me out, that is not the purpose of grades. It just isn't. And I will die on the vine for this. Grades are meant to assess learning. They are not meant to police kids' executive function. Sorry I'm not sorry.

Let me tell you, I get it. I know that this makes our jobs as teachers harder. It's true. We have to go back and grade late work. We have to spend time remining kids to turn their work in so we can grade it. But guys, that's our job. To teach. Why are we holding kids to standards we ourselves cannot meet? Have you ever been late to work? Or to a meeting? Have you ever forgotten to post your grades? If you answer no, then you are super human and you should stop reading because the rest of this doesn't apply to you. But if you are human, like me, then you probably answered "yes." And if that's the case, then you know, deep down, what I'm saying is true. The thing is, we have had our whole childhoods and adult lives to try to get it right and be on time, and we still drop the ball on occasion. We are human. And here me when I say this... So. Are. Kids. So, instead of punishing them, let's teach them...coping skills, organizational strategies, ways to do it right. Let's help them to the best they can be. I could take you down a rabbit hole of research regarding grades. There is so much out there that tells us that punishing kids with grades does so much more harm than good. And, most importantly, if we using grades in this way, we lose sight of their true and intended purpose--to measure learning. To drive instruction. If you give that kid a zero, you will never know what they know or what they have learned or what support they need. You can't differentiate well. You can't tell their parents where they're struggling. You can't truly know where they are in their learning. I know it's a hard pill to swallow. But, at the end of the day, our job is to teach kids. To love kids. To see their humanity. There are lots of ways we do this. But, the real talk is, it starts with the end the punitive grading. 

Comments

  1. Did you hear that loud enthusiastic cheer of "YES!" just now? That cheer was from me. As the student who was punished and as the parent who had to deal with the punished child. I was lucky with my sons to -mostly- be blessed with teachers who knew how to deal the easily bored, but there were a few who used grades as a means of punishment and/or behavior correction. "And you know what? It wasn't okay." It's been decades for them and scores for me, the battles I've had as student and parent still rankle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I agree as a School Social Worker of 21 years too! I agree that the kids need to experience successes in order to want more successes. All too often a student has never tasted success and will get further belittled for "not trying" or even worse, called "lazy". In 21 years I never met a lazy student. I've met students who don't know, and who don't know how, or what, to ask, and who don't know who to ask. Hope you can follow me here. Anyway, I felt satisfaction in your words and viewpoint. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I've only known you for little less than I year, and I can attest to the fact that you are indeed spunky, tough, opinionated, and caring. You are spot on when you write, "Grades are meant to assess learning. They are not meant to police kids' executive function." Years ago, when Denton ISD began the journey towards standards based grading, my beliefs about assessment underwent a true transformation. The idea of giving any child a zero became an obsolete practice—no longer in the service of learning outcomes. When teachers wield grades as weapons, kids always lose. In your closing thoughts you write, "Our job is to teach kids. To love kids. To see their humanity." Amen sister. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, have been teaching for 21 years and have come a long way in my teaching as well. We change, grow, and evolve! Yay for you for recognizing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your unpopular opinion gets a resounding YES from me! So we can be unpopular together. I've never understood punitive grading or for me, letter grading in the first place. To see their humanity- that stuck with me. Love the sentiment and love this slice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Preach. Yes to all. Kids are human, too. My heart swelled at the end when you reminded us all that our job is to love kids. That is our priority, our duty. If we get that right, our educational goals have a fighting chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m literally living an adult version of this. I’m 2 days late and 2 assignments behind in Blog Class. Coaching + BIG presentation + DR appt that included an unexpected EKG was more than this brain could take on for one day. But ya know what? I went ahead and created my blog tonight. I found the time and headspace. Right now I have 2 zeros I’m somebody’s grade book, but I am certain I have something much different in yours.

    https://thisfornowmaki.blogspot.com/2021/03/best-intentions.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On Tribes and Tribalism

 Have you seen that shirt that all the "boss babes" 🙄 sell on Facebook? The one that says, "My Tribe" or "Find your tribe, love them hard." There are many iterations. A version of it has made its way around Instagram as one of those inspirational text-images people love so much. You know, the one with arrows and feathers and cool, scripty font. You've seen it--super boho and trendy. Can I tell you something? I hate this shirt. I hate this meme. I hate the word tribe . It always irks me. I wish it didn't, but it does. Yes, I dislike the cultural appropriation, but, if I am being honest, I really hate it for one, big selfish reason: I don't have a tribe. I don't really have "people." No close knit group of gal-pals that I drink wine with or talk to daily. I don't have a group text thread that blows up my phone all day simultaneously annoying and entertaining me. I don't have this. I never have. I think I have always been t

The Best of Intentions

 I was so excited when I was invited by my colleague to do this month of writing. I was amped and ready and full of ideas. I guess now might be the time to mention that I haven't written anything--on paper anyway--since Thursday. I had the best of intentions. Don't I always? So here I am, 5 days late, writing something. The phrase "the best of intentions" kept bouncing around my head this morning. I have decided that it might be the theme to my adult life. My house is halfway clean. I made dinner 3 out of 5 planned nights. My daughter usually brushes her teeth at night. All these things begin and end with the best of intentions . I think where I feel this most intensely right now is in my role as mother. My children are so many things to me--the first of which are miracles. My son entered my orbit after years of trying to conceive and a failed adoption. When his birth mother handed him to me, my world changed. My daughter, born almost 10 years later, was the result of